CAFP really cares about their student members. I have been given so many opportunities to network, be mentored, get involved with the community, ...Read more
How is CAFP different from other food service, industry-related or professional association?
CAFP is a national volunteer association. You belong because you want to not as a requirement to maintain your professional practice.
Members represent all facets of the food service and hospitality industry.
Our members are owner/operators/managers in the following sectors:
- restaurant and hotel sector,
- healthcare, educational institutions and business dining,
- suppliers to the industry.
The association has student branches which means Professional branches support and mentor student CAFP branches through adult education, bursary programs, leadership experience and networking opportunities with Professional branch members in the industry both locally and nationally.
There are 11 Professional Branches located in six provinces. Branches are located in Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax-Dartmouth, London, New Brunswick, Montreal, Northumberland, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver and a Member at Large Branch exists for members who are not geographically located close to one of our professional branches.
There are currently 14 Student Branches, located in universities and community colleges, associated with the Professional branches in their geographic areas.
CAFP is not a lobby organization.
What value will I receive from being a member of CAFP?
"As a CAFP member since 1977, I can share the value that being a member has been to me:
- Provides current and practical education sessions at the monthly branch meetings and at the annual national conference that are relevant to my management position
- Provides a cross-Canada network of professionals
- Provides exposure to the best and brightest students who are the future for the industry and form a potential employment pool
- Provides leadership opportunities managing volunteers and leading organizations that build skill-sets that benefit your workplace as well as yourself
- Establish life-long friendships"
Barbara Thompson, RD, CFE, Past-National President
Is a corporate membership available?
Membership is on an individual basis as granted by the Branch Board of Directors to the applicant, and is not transferable to another individual.
How do I become a member of CAFP?
Membership is at the branch level and a portion of your annual dues goes towards your national membership . However, there is one constitution and one set of by-laws that governs both the national association and its branches.
You can find out more about becoming a member by:
- checking out the membership section of the CAFP website
- contacting the branch nearest you
- contacting the national office
Generally, you are invited to attend three branch meetings as a guest to see if the association meets your needs and after that you are encouraged to become a member.
After your membership application is reviewed and you are accepted, you are inducted into the association and receive your new member materials.
Is my membership transferable if I relocate to another province?
Yes, your membership is portable if you relocate to another city/area where there is a branch.
If there is no branch in the area where you have moved, you can continue your membership in your branch or you could consider initiating steps to start a new branch in consultation with the National Board of Directors.